- Books For You - Featured Items
- Featured items that Books For You plans to bring to RMBPF 2018.
- Click on thumbnails to view full-size images.
Sibley, Brian; Howe, John, illustrator. London/HarperCollins/ 2009
61pp. 12mo. Fine. Red cloth, color paste-down. Signed on title page, with signed inscription on half-title. B&W illustrations. Full color fold-out map with pictorial borders opens to about 23" square.
Genre: SCIENCE FICTION, FANTASY, MAPS, MIDDLE-EARTH
Goodsir, Robert Anstruther. London/John Van Voorst/1850
152pp. 8vo. Very Good. Green cloth, gilt lettering, rebound in 1977 per ink statement on new blank page. Complete with lithograph frontispiece and fold-out map showing route hand-colored in red. Light foxing, name on title page, ink mark crossed out on half-title, and the ink statement on the rebound page. Bump to fore edge has left a number of pages with creases or light bends. Denver Bookbinding Co. stamp on rear paste down end paper.
The author's brother was a member of the Franklin voyage, and this narrates the author's experience with the whaler which went looking for them. Includes descriptions of whaling, Eskimos, polar bears, and arctic scenery.
Genre: Exploration, Arctic Voyages
Burns, Robert. London/MacMillan and Co./1879
353+445pp plus xcix biographical preface & contents vol 1, xi contents vol 2. 12mo. Very Good. Deep brown/black full leather, lavish gilt-decorated spine, corners and inside edges, gilt top edge, marbled end papers. Leather is lightly worn at edges, corners and top of spine; small mark on vol 1 front. Bound-in red silk ribbon bookmark detached on volume 2. Binding signed by McNamee, Binder, Cambridge. Copyright page states "Five hundred copies of this edition were printed, May 1st, 1879." Writing in pencil noted on two pages and verso back end paper; name, date and number on verso front end paper, portrait of Burns tipped in on blank page. Portrait frontispiece by G.B. Shaw with paper guard is foxed, also frontispiece of vol 2; small water mark visible on verso of all end papers.
Genre: Poetry, Fine Binding
Englewood Historical Society. Dallas/Curtis Media Corporation/1993
639pp;viii. Folio. Near Fine. Black cloth, color paste down on front, gilt lettering. Light bump to fore edges; spine top and base crimped. No interior marks. B&W map end papers; B&W photographs and illustrations throughout. The first portion is history, public services, organizations, the military, and former businesses; then individual family histories, current businesses, and index. Family tree pages included.
Genre: COLORADO HISTORY, WESTERN AMERICANA, GENEALOGY
Darwin, Charles. London, John Murray, 1888-1899
Twelve books in 17 volumes, bound by Zaehnsdorf for C. Scribner's Sons, New York, in red half leather with marbled paper and marbled end papers. Most volumes are 12mo, but the 3 volumes of "Life and Letters" are 9" octavos, and "Journal of Researches" is 9" but slightly wider than the letters. Conditions are generally Good Plus, with light wear to edges, corners and particularly hinges, light soil and small chips on some spines, and sunning and rubbing to the marbled paper. "Journal of Researches" has heavy wear to top edges and corners, showing boards, volume 1 of "The Descent of Man" has front board separating. Several volumes have writing on an empty page. Most volumes have B&W illustrations throughout.
1) Journal of Researches into the Natural History & Geology of the Countries Visited During the Voyage Round the World of H.M.S. "Beagle" Under the Command of Captain Fitz Roy, R.N. A new edition with illustrations by R.T. Pritchett of Places Visited and Objects Described. 551pp + 2 Fold-out maps. 1890
2) The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex, second edition, third impression in two volumes. 507+528pp. 1898
3) The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. In two volumes, with a portrait. Portrait frontispiece has foxing to margins. 365+339pp. 1897
4) The Effects of Cross and Self Fertilisation in the Vegetable Kingdom, third edition. 485pp. 1891
5) The Movements and Habits of Climbing Plants, fifth thousand. 208pp. 1891
6) The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species, fourth thousand. With illustrations. 352pp. 1892
7) The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals, eleventh thousand, second edition edited by Francis Darwin. With Photographic and other illustrations. 394pp. 1892
8) The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication, second edition, revised. Eighth thousand. With illustrations. In two volumes. 473+495pp. 1893
9) Insectivorous Plants, second edition revised by Francis Darwin, sixth thousand. With illustrations. 377pp. 1893
10) The Formation of Vegetable Mould, through the Action of Worms, with Observations on Their Habits, thirteenth thousand. With illustrations. 328pp. 1897
11) The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilised by Insects, sixth impression (second edition). With illustrations. 300pp. 1899
12) The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, including and Autobiographical Chapter, edited by his son Francis Darwin, in three volumes, seventh thousand revised. 395+393+418pp. 1888